Mars Hill Baptist Church is one of the oldest established churches in Georgia. This church was established in July, 1799, not far from its present-day location in Oconee County, Georgia. At that time, the church was located at the very edge of the American Frontier and points west were referred to as “Indian Territory” on contemporary maps. The church has historically served the community as a typical “country church” for most of its history. The church survived a devastating fire in 1995 when lightning struck the steeple and ignited the pine timbers from which the building was constructed. In just a few short hours, the building was reduced to cinders. The church membership agreed to rebuild the sanctuary and a new fellowship hall on the spot of the previous building, however, enlarging the size of the facility to accommodate the needs of a growing church. The new sanctuary and fellowship hall were dedicated to our Lord at its opening in the fall of 1997. In 2005, Mars Hill completed construction on its newest building, a multipurpose building containing a state-of-the-art preschool area, new classrooms, an updated kitchen and a gymnasium. Mars Hill has had a long and blessed past, but we are looking forward to an even greater future, and we would love for you to be a part of that future.